Ever heard a song and found it too difficult to decipher the lyrics? It is a language known to you, but it is too slurry to hear. Ever thought why? It is because of the overuse of a tool known as autotune.
Autotune is a tool used in the recording studios by sound engineers to adjust and tune the specific frequencies and bring them to the right desired frequency. But as obvious as it sounds, this could result in alteration of the sound quality. This could have a strong impact on the voice of the singer as heard by the listener.
The use of autotune in the audios is to be learnt as a part of the best sound engineering courses in India.
Given below are few tips for the optimum usage of autotune:
- Choose The Right Singer: This is the most fundamental step to decide whether to use autotune in the recording or not. And if used, how much of the tool should be used. The vocalist must have a range that could embellish and suite the requirements of the song. If the singer’s vocal range falls short by 1 or 2 notes from the requirement of the song, that’s when a slight touch of autotune can be added. But ideally, it is the best option to choose a singer, whose range covers all the highest and lowest notes of the song.
- Do Some Research On Autotune: Autotune is an unpredictable tool which can enhance as well as completely disturb the user’s experience of a song. This could cause serious damage to the reputation of the vocalist. There have been instances where the vocalist himself could not recognize his/her own voice due to the excessive use of autotune in the song. It is always better to do some research on the different tools used in the recording of songs, so as to avoid the negative impacts of the tools.
- Monitor Every Step During The Editing: Every time you add an effect or use a tool on the recording, it is a safety measure to review it in pieces. This will give us an idea of how the audio could sound to the music fanatics out there. It will, in turn, help us to make the necessary changes and improve the quality of the recording by adding or removing the unnecessary part.
- Do Not Use Autotune In One Single Go: A singer would not mind going in for retakes of the audio. So instead of adding the whole of autotune in one attempt, ask the singer for retakes and if still the necessary notes are not reached by the vocalist, try to add a little touch of autotune as required to reach that specific note. One of the biggest blunders these days is that they autotune the whole of the song. Autotune must be done only wherever it is necessary. Because the use of autotune for the complete song is a mark of disrespect and questions the credibility of the singer.
- Practice Makes A Man Perfect: With time and experience, you will get a stronger hold on the different editing aspects of the recordings, including autotune. You will get to know when to autotune a track and most importantly, when not to. Try working and do your research as much as you can. It will always help you in the long run to become a successful sound engineer or music producer, whatever your goal is.
Autotune in a recording is like a snake venom in a medicine. The right dosage can enhance the healing quality, and the overdose can always be fatal. Let us not kill the song with an overdose of autotune. Get to learn more about autotune in the audio engineering courses offered in India. And for the same, it is to be careful and to choose the top music institute in India, to study music production and sound engineering courses.